Reading Log #1: Malcolm X

Summary/Main Idea 

  • Malcolm X (1925-1965)
  • Didn't know how to write what he thought 
  • Used prison to start improving his education 
  • Started reading the dictionary 
  • After reading so much he grew a big interest on black history 
  • Time in prison gave him in what he believes is a better education than colleges now days 
  • Believes colleges have too many distractions 
Quotes/Annotations 

1. Quote: "Imagine!" Page 5
Annotation: I really like how he adds this word into his writing. This one word makes me feel as if the author really wants me to understand what he is thinking.

2. Quote: "Because who in the world's history ever has played a worse 'skin game' than the white man?" Page 5
Annotation: Malcolm X uses a rhetorical question because he knows that everyone's answer is going to be the same.

3. Quote: "...I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity--because you can hardly mention anything I'm not curious about. I don't think anybody ever got more out of going to prison than I did." Page 6
Annotation: I really enjoy this quote because it's just funny. He went to prison and didn't mind because he got a really good education out of it.

Questions

1. How long was Malcolm X in prison for?



Comments