Reading Blog #5: They Say I Say Intro and Chapter 7

Introduction: Entering the Conversation
Intro/ Main Ideas:

  • user friendly guide to the basic moves of academic writing 
  • the use of templates are very helpful  
  • ways of responding 
  • entering a conversation 
  • creating an identity for yourself 
Quotes: 
  • "To make an impact as a writer, you need to do more than make statements that are logical, well supported, and consistent"(4). : I agree with this quote because in order to persuade a person you have to give supporting evidence and explain the reasoning behind the evidence. 
  • "...the templates in this book, far from being 'third-grade-level stuff,' represent the stock in trade of sophisticated thinking and writing, and they often require a great deal of practice and instruction to use successfully"(10). : I believe templates don't "stifle creativity". The purpose of templates are suppose to help guide you to a certain point without moving of topic. 
  • "...that we listen carefully to others, including those who disagree with us, and then engage with them thoughtfully and respectfully- can help us see beyond  our own beliefs, which may not be shared by everyone"(14). : I very much agree with this quote. I think it is very interesting how someone can put words in a way to change a person perspective and open there eye to a reason they've have never thought about. 
Questions: 
  • Can writing actually become as easy as an activity I can do well? 
Chapter 7: Say Why It Matters 
Intro/Main Ideas: 
  • what is the relevance/importance of what you are saying 
  • any time you state a claim you have to back it up with evidence 
  • address the question 
Quotes: 
  • "Instead, the problem is not necessarily that the speakers lack a clear, well-focused thesis or that the thesis is inadequately supported with evidence" (92). :  I agree with this quote. the writer goes on and on about a topic but never explain it's importance to the world. 
  • "We'll look first at ways of making clear who cares"(93). : The writers target are people who care about the topic, the ones who have either an interest or advantage in the topic. 
  •  "To gain greater authority as a writer, it can help to name specific people or groups who have a stake in your claims and to go into some detail about their views"(95). : By providing examples can help give the readers a visual to help better understand the point of a topic. 
Questions: 
  • No questions 

Comments